1. With which of the following topics is this passage primarily concerned?
(A) Sharks are efficient creatures with bad reputations.
(B) Sharks are some of the oldest creatures on earth.
(C) Sharks illustrate a problem in wildlife protection.
(D) The campaign to save dolphins was not extended to save sharks.
2. Which of the following is most similar to the meaning of the word “warped” in line 5?
3. In line 12, the word “protested” is closest in meaning to which of the following?
(B) objected to
(D) reflected on
4. In line 14, the word “generated” could be best replaced by
5. How did environmentalists manage to protect dolphins?
(A) They prevented fishermen from selling them for meat.
(B) They pressured fishermen into protecting dolphins by law.
(C) They brought political pressure against tuna companies.
(D) They created sanctuaries where dolphin fishing was not allowed.
6. About how long have sharks lived on the planet?
(A) 25 million years
(B) 150 million years
(C) 350 million years
(D) 500 million years
7. The author uses the phrase “weeding out” in line 22-23 to mean
(A) strengthening something that is weak
(B) feeding something that is hungry
(C) encouraging something that is efficient
(D) getting rid of something that is unwanted
8. In line 24, the phrase “managed to live” is used to infer that
(A) surviving was difficult
(B) migration was common
(C) procreation was expanding
(D) roaming was necessary
9. The word “proof” in line 25 could be best replaced by which of the following?
10. In line 28, the phrase “to cast away” means most nearly
(A) to throw off
(B) to bring in
(C) to see through
(D) to set apart
11. What is the author’s tone in this passage?
12. Which of the following best describes the organization of this passage?
(A) order of importance
(B) cause and effect
(C) statement and example
(D) chronological order
1. C 2. A 3. B 4. D 5. C 6. C 7. D 8. A 9. B 10. A 11. B 12.C