Exercise 1 (FCE): In this exercise, use the word in CAPITAL at the end of each line to form a word that suitable with the gaps in that line (6 points)
The weather made their progress (0) ..impossible.. As it POSSIBLE
had been raining (56) … all night they had to HEAVY
be very (57) … as they walked through the CARE
thick jungle. Their good (58) … would help JUDGE
them overcome the (59) … and get back to SET
civilisation with only minor injuries.
Although things were (60) … they had to be BEARABLE
(61) … because it was the only way they could OPTIMIST
help each other through this difficult situation.
Their (62) … , chosen for his knowledge, would help LEAD
them in every way. The (63) … of this training IMPORTANT
was to (64) … them for the special task ahead HARD
of them. However, they had never imagined how (65) … DANGER
it would turn out to be.
—KEY TO EXERCISE 1—
Exercise 2 (CPE): In this exercise, complete the missing parts of the incomplete word in order to complete them (4 points)
1. They were calling_____ REPEAT_____ for assistance, but to no avail.
2. For many people Ludwig van Beethoven (1770-1827) is the most _____INFLUEN_____ figure in the history of western classical music.
3. His ____ORDINARY______talent was already clearly evident as a young man.
4. The exacted whereabouts of the party’s true accounts was a ZEAL_________ guarded secret.
5. MERC__________, he survived a rather unconventional childhood.
6. His __________BRING__________ was all the more strange because of the attitude of his parents.
7. He did not find his blindness _____ABLE_____; on the contrary, his other senses were heightened in compensation.
8. Despite his great grades from school, he was regarded as an __________ACHIEVE__________at work because of his laziness.
9. Chalk and cheese are totally ______RELATE_______ to each other.
10. The tension was ______HIGH________ by the clever use of music in the shower scene of Psycho.
—KEY TO EXERCISE 2—