AFTER READING THE PASSAGE, ANSWER THE QUESTIONS BELLOW:
1. With what topic is this passage primarily concerned?
(A) influential painters such as Miro, Dali, and Ernst
(B) the Surrealist movement in graphic art and literature
(C) nihilism as an aspect of the Surrealist movement
(D) Andr Breton’s leadership style
2. As used in line 1, which of the following is the closest in meaning to the phrase”a movement”?
(A) a trend
(B) an action
(C) an exercise
(D) a gesture
3. Which of the following is closest in meaning to the word “inspired” in line 2?
4. Why does the author mention Dadaism?
(A) to demonstrate the importance of Surrealism
(B) to give background information about Surrealism
(C) to show the lack of influence of Dadaism
(D) to infer that Andr Breton rejected Dadaism
5. What does “it” refer to in line 7?
(A) a protest
(B) the unconscious
(D) the creative process
6. The word “altered” in line 10 means
7. Which of the following is closest to the meaning of “purity” in line 11?
8. According to the passage, all of the following are true of Surrealism EXCEPT?
(A) Surrealism was influenced by Dadaism.
(B) Surrealists believed that the unconscious played an important role in the creative process.
(C) Some Surrealist painters quit the official movement because of Andr Breton.
(D) Surrealism embraced Western culture.
9. The word “displayed” in line 13 is closest in meaning to which of the following?
10. The word “dissent” in line 15 is closest inmeaning to which of the following?
11. The phrase “breaking away” in line 16 means
12. Which of the following statements is best supported by this passage?
(A) Andr Breton founded art and literature in Paris.
(B) Andr Breton rejected Dadaism because of Nihilism.
(C) Andr Breton supported Miro in his painting.
(D) Andr Breton was a vital part of the Surrealist movement.
1. B 7. A
2. A 8. D
3. B 9. C
4. B 10. A
5. C 11. B
6. A 12. D