1. What is this passage mainly about?
(A) the prejudice that existed in Atlanta
(B) Martin Luther King’s childhood
(C) M.L.’s grandfather
(D) the neighborhood King grew up in
2. The word “eloquent” in line 7 means most nearly
3. The word “gathering” in line 12 could best be replaced by
4. As used, the word “eventful” in line 15 is closest in meaning to which of the following?
5. In line 20, the word “it” refers to which of the following?
6. According to the author, blacks in King’s neighborhood were involved in all the following businesses and services EXCEPT
7. The word “tailors” in line 21 describes people who are associated with which of the following trades?
(A) flower arranging
(B) shoe making
(C) garment making
(D) book binding
8. According to the author, King was influenced by
(A) community spirit
(B) black lawyers
(C) his mother
(D) his speeches
9. The word “thrived” in line 23 refers to which of the following?
10. As used in line 25, which of the following is closest in meaning to the word “seemingly”?
11. The word “mingling” in line 26 could best be replaced by which of the following?
12. According to the author, M.L.
(A) had a difficult childhood
(B) was a good musician as a child
(C) loved to listen to his grandfather speak
(D) grew up in a relatively rich area of Atlanta
ANSWER KEY: 1. B 2. A 3. D 4. B 5. B 6. A 7. C 8. A 9. C 10. A 11. D 12. D
What is your mark ? Calculate it out of 12 points